Yesterday Jonathan Chang released some of the most common trends for Facebook in 2011 on the Facebook Blog, and with an incredible 800 million users (unsure as to how many are currently active though) on the social network site it gives a good look at some of the most popular people, events and trending memes from the past year…..
Top Ten Global Topics
The most talked about topic on Facebook this year, by a long way was the death of Osama bin Laden
The Top Ten trends in the UK
The Top Ten trends in the US
Planking was also a passing craze in 2011 and made headlines when Max Key who is the son of New Zealand PM John Key had an image of him circulate on Facebook with his father in the background. I still don’t get it.
2011 was also the rise of music producer Skrillex, who has been massive this year on Facebook. He went on tour this year in collaboration with Korn and his record label launch prompted a 76-fold increase in the number of people mentioning him in their status updates on Facebook.
“lms” and “tbh” were the fastest growing memes on Facebook in 2011. ‘lms’ stands for Like My Status and ‘tbh’ stands for To Be Honest
Actors & TV Personalities
Musicians and Most Listened to Songs
News Outlets and Most Shared Articles
Love it or hate it you have to admit that Facebook has a hell of a lot of users and activity, and the results show this.
People on Facebook
- More than 800 million active users
- More than 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- Average user has 130 friends
Activity on Facebook
- More than 900 million objects that people interact with (pages, groups, events and community pages)
- Average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events
- On average, more than 250 million photos are uploaded per day
- More than 70 languages available on the site
- Approximately 80% of users are outside of the United States
- Over 300,000 users helped translate the site through the translations application
- On average, people on Facebook install apps more than 20 million times every day
- Every month, more than 500 million people use an app on Facebook or experience Facebook Platform on other websites
- More than 7 million apps and websites are integrated with Facebook
- More than 350 million active users currently access Facebook through their mobile devices
- More than 475 mobile operators globally work to deploy and promote Facebook mobile products