HBO have finally just announced that Game of Thrones season 2 is now available to own on DVD and bluray from 19th February 2013. Season 2 of Game of Thrones is mostly based on the events of A Clash of Kings, the second book of the A Song of Ice and Fire novels by George R. R. Martin.
I’m glad that they have finally let us know as to when we can get out hands on Season 2, but it’s infuriating that it takes so long for Game of Thrones to become available in this format. If they had of made this available for the Christmas holiday time, they would have made a killing.
Below are the two main places that have the pre-orders available now. There is currently no twin-pack available on Amazon for Seasons 1 & 2 yet though.
- Pre-order the DVD on HBO (£40.00)
- Pre-order the bluray on HBO (£44.99)
- Game of Thrones Seasons 1 & 2 DVD Twin-pack on HBO (£54.98)
- Game of Thrones Seasons 1 & 2 Blu-ray Twin-pack on HBO (£69.98)
- Pre-order the DVD on Amazon (£37.99)
- Pre-order the bluray on Amazon (£41.20)
Below are some of the special features that you will get with either your bluray or DVD copy of Season 2. If you pre-order the bluray with HBO Select then you will get some additional content included
Blu-ray with HBO Select – includes all DVD features plus:
- War of the Five Kings – Track the claims, strategies and key players involved in the battle for the Iron Throne with this interactive guide that follows the movements of various armies detailing their victories and defeats.
- Histories & Lore – 19 animated histories detailing the mythology of Westeros and Essos as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves and featuring, in-part, illustrations from Game of Thrones storyboard artist Will Simpson.
- In-Episode Guide – In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories.
- Hidden Dragon Eggs – Find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.
- Creating the Battle of Blackwater Bay – See how the epic Battle of Blackwater Bay was brought to life in this exclusive, in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the climatic episode. The 30 minute feature showcases never-before-seen interviews with cast and crew.
- Game of Thrones: Inner Circle – Actors Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley and Liam Cunningham talk in detail about their experiences shooting season two in this roundtable discussion moderated by executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
- The Religions of Westeros – Hear author George R.R. Martin, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss discuss the competing religions in the series and how they influence the various characters in Westeros and beyond.
- Character Profiles – Profiles of seven major characters as described by the actors portraying them including Renly Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Robb Stark, Theon Greyjoy and more.
- Audio Commentaries – 12 commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington and more.
Audio Commentary Participants
- Episode 1 – “THE NORTH REMEMBERS” With Commentary by Executive Producers/Writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss
- Episode 2 “THE NIGHT LANDS” with Commentary by Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy) and Gemma Whelan (Yara Greyjoy)
- Episode 3 “WHAT IS DEAD MAY NEVER DIE” with Commentary by Writer Bryan Cogman and Director Alik Sakharov
- Plus Commentary by Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) and Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark)
- Episode 4 “GARDEN OF BONES” with Commentary by Carice Van Houten (Melisandre) and Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth)
- Episode 6 “THE OLD GODS AND THE NEW” with Commentary by Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Rose Leslie (Ygritte) and Writer Vanessa Taylor
- Episode 7 “A MAN WITHOUT HONOR” with Commentary by Executive Producers/Writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss
- Episode 8 with Commentary by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister) and Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark)
- Episode 9 with Commentary by Co-Executive Producer/Author of A Game of Thrones, George R.R. MartinPlus Commentary by Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), and Director Neil Marshall
- Episode 10 with Commentary by Rainer Gombos and Steve Kullback of the Visual Effects Team (Plus Commentary by Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) and Co-Executive Producer Alan Taylor)
Game of Thrones Season 3 starts on 31st March 2013