How To Add A Custom Ringtone To Your Nexus 4 or Nexus 5

android-music

In this tutorial I will show you how to add a custom ringtone to your Nexus 4 device running Jelly Bean. Please note that this is the same for those who have the Nexus 5 running KitKat 4.4, and I have tested Rings Extended with the new Nexus 5.

When you first get your Nexus 4 and try to change the ringtone from one of the built-in ones, you’ll quickly find that it’s not quite as simple as it should be. The easiest way by far that I have found is to install an app called Rings Extended that will allow you to choose from various music files that you have downloaded and select any one of these as your tone of choice.

Firstly either head over to The Play Store via your Nexus 4 or Nexus 5 device and search for Rings Extended. Select it and install. If you don’t have your phone to hand, then go to The Play Store via your PC and do the same. If you are going to download the app via The Play Store it will give you a choice as to which device you wish to install it on (should you have more than one Android device). Simply select your device and hit install. It will send the app to your handset and install it for you.

Now you have installed Rings Extended, open the app and hit Sound Settings on the first screen. This will then open your Sound Settings area, so just select Phone Ringtone to see the available choices.

Rings Extended Choices

You may have more or fewer options available to you depending on what other media options you use. I have a Google Music, Ringdroid, ES File Explorer and Dropbox account that has my ringtones attached. If you have downloaded the MP3 ringtone and wish to use that then select Media Ringtones and you should see it there. You can still select from the built-in ones as well should you want to by choosing Built-in ringtones. The other way, and easier way to store your ringtones, is to connect your phone to your PC, then Browse to your Android via My Computer and place your ringtones in the Ringtones folder.

Once you have selected your tone of choice, for me it was the Game of Thrones intro music, hit OK.

Select Nexus 4 Ringtone

That’s it.

If you want to get the Game of Thrones ringtone for yourself, then I got it via Zedge

Comments

1. Oleg Kreimer says:

Hi. Thanks for the tip. I found actually that it works with any file manager also. For example ES File Explorer

2. Great advice, many thanks. Rings Extended is the perfect solution.

3. Gareth Jones says:

Hmmm must be me but the Google music player on device tracks are not available on my nexus 4 when I try to select a track.

4. I put an .mp3 file in the “Ringtones” folder in the root. Worked like a charm. No need for external apps =D

5. Martijn says:

Great post!

6. Great!!!this is what I want to know

7. Bobby Meeks says:

the app will make you pilfer through your entire media library – music and everything – or use one of the installed explorer apps – which is what I was trying to avoid. Instead I created the folder “/sdcard/media/audio/ringtones” and pasted the G4 ringtones in it. They were all visible as ringtones for me on my GNEX. Cheers!

8. Just bought my nexus 4 and I wasn’t sure how to set a custom ringtone. This post was extremely helpful. Thank you so much!

9. LindaJ says:

Couldn’t sort out new ringtones on my new Nexus 4 many thanks for the post which quickly got it sorted

10. snafoo says:

cant i do it from the phone without downlaoding any app?

• Anand says:

Hi, yes you can do it without any app, just place the ringtone in the folder “Nexus 4Internal storageRingtones” i mean in the Ringtone folder provided with the phone.

• laparka says:

I did this and couldn’t figure out for the life of me why the song still didn’t appear in the ringtones menu. Then I remembered you have to power down and reboot. Idiot.

11. victimofpublicsectorterrorism says:

Thanks!

12. I just bought my Nexus 4. Assigning one of my songs as a ringtone was the only thing I couldn’t figure out. Thanks much for the info about the Rings Extended app. I appreciate it.

13. Javier says:

Thanks! i used to have a phone in 2003 that you just went to media, select a song and then go to Options; “Use as ring-tone”. So much easier… Why does Google not want me to have an easy life with their Nexus 4? I’m not unhappy with it though.

Cheers

14. Just bought my nexus 4 and I wasn’t sure how to set a custom ringtone. This post was extremely helpful. Thank you so much!

15. Prafulla says:

Good one , I had t struggle a lot… Unless I had implemented your Idea , thanks

16. Lavinia says:

thank you! it was very helpful!

17. Thank you so much for this”. I wasted way too much time before finding this on line. Should have looked right away.

18. Thank you! It really worked well and so much easier than others!!

19. That was SO easy!!! I fiddled with this for ages and couldn’t figure it out!
    THANK YOU!!!Q

20. Thank you very much for this. i’ve installed it and picked my new ringtone. i found using this app also meant i could pick my own songs for my alarm tone too which is great seeing as the ones on the phone would have scared the living daylights out of me in the morning.

21. I transfered songs via blue tooth to my nexus . songs appear in Play music but not able to set as ring tone. Also downloaded song and the songs appear in download folder but if I clear songs from download they are permanently deleted…… Please help

22. thanx!

23. I installed the app and then mistakenly selected ‘Built in Ringtones’. Now what to do? I’ve uninstalled the app and reinstall it, but of no use.!!

24. Super

25. Very simple to do on my Nexus 5. Working like a charm. Thank you so much for your help!